Scleral & Keratoconus Contact Lenses
At Vision Source – Orland Park, we fit even the most difficult eyes.
Have you had trouble wearing contacts in the past or been told you are not a good candidate for contacts? Large diameter scleral lenses may be the solution you are looking for. Scleral Contact Lenses offer keratoconus & irregular cornea patients many advantages compared to traditional contact lenses, including:
- sharp vision
- stable vision
- reduced glare
- improved vision for night time driving and driving when raining or snowing
We design Scleral contact lenses to vault over the most sensitive part of your eye and rest gently on the “white” of the eye (the sclera). This makes them significantly more comfortable because they do not rub on or touch the cornea. . . . Learn More About Our Digitally Designed Scleral Contact Lens Process.
Any irregularities in the surface of your cornea are then filled in with a gentle layer of cushioning liquid that helps provide a smooth clear surface to optimize your vision.
Scleral Contact Lenses are especially helpful for the following conditions:
- Irregular corneas. Vision problems like ghosting, halos, double vision, & distortions caused by an irregularly shaped cornea typically cannot be properly corrected with glasses or soft contact lenses.
- Dry eyes. If your eyes are too dry for conventional contact lenses, Scleral Contact Lenses can help. The lens creates a tear reservoir to keep the front of your eye more moist and comfortable. Scleral Contact Lenses can be very helpful for dry eye caused by Sjögren’s Syndrome and other autoimmune disorders.
We have established expertise in medically necessary contact lenses in cases such as:
- Pellucid Marginal Degeneration (PMD)
- Complex pre- and post-surgical cases (Lasik, PRK, RK)
- After corneal transplant surgery
Scleral lenses are also highly effective for managing debilitating glare many patients experience years after undergoing Radial Keratotomy surgery (R-K).
We use many advanced specialized contact lens designs to give our patients the best attainable result, including:
- Zenlens, Zenlens Toric & Zenlens Quad
- Zen RC
- Atlantis Scleral
- Blanchard MSD,
- BostonSight Scleral
- Custom Stable Elite
- Onefit 2.0 & Onefit MED
- Synergeyes UltraHealth
- ScanFit Pro
- & many others.
We are pleased to announce that Dr. Joseph DiGiorgio and Dr. Stephanie DiGiorgio are now certified to fit the new BostonSight SCLERAL lenses. These unique scleral lenses are designed based on data gathered from 1,000s of challenging cases involving irregular and diseased corneas used by the Boston Foundation, developers of the PROSE lens.
Schedule an appointment today with Dr. DiGiorgio and the team at Vision Source in Orland Park for a custom Scleral Contact Lens evaluation to see the difference scleral lenses make for your eyes.